Tuesday, May 14, 2024

City Order & the Adaptive

I found myself outside a mall trying to cross the high speed traffic on Tumkur Road to go across the other side.

I noticed people like me, wait, observing the speed gaps to cross. The pattern I found was that they move into the road collectively, I guess with an intrinsic togetherness of purpose for those moments of crossing. This way seemed easy to cross rather than alone trying to negotiate the speeds. The vehicles too seem to slowdown observing the cluster and with one of the crossers taking over to show her/his hand to the vehicles indicating to slow down for the fellow people.
This must be a regular scene everyday.
Initially before crossing the road, I pictured the Highways which pass through villages, towns and ‘national parks’ where there are speed limits which are monitored today. I didn’t find any difference between the two. Just that here there are the commercial and civil utilities like malls, bus stops/stands and others and requirement of people movement across roads.
Two things by design:
One, treat the scenario similar to the villages and national parks of setting monitored speed limits.
Two, engineer solutions to cross roads which has and is being tried and implemented where ever feasible.





In my writing on Universal Design in India, I had phrased a term, ‘Unfamiliar to Systems’ in the context of migrant settlers in cities from upcountry and the need to empathize keeping in mind the organic order they are/were familiar with via a vis city order.
What I discovered while crossing with fellow people was an adaptation and a leant or if I may call a primitive connect between the people moving in their path (drivers & road crossers) however crisscross it maybe, while engaged in their everyday routine.

Having given the extempore, as a Designer I am thinking, are there solutions to sustain-maintain and support by design this connect of co-adaptation inherent in people not compromising on mishaps!

If it comes under the aspect of behavior design, the entity to address is the cityscape which would be of organic nature making the city order adaptive by design and tech maybe, seamlessly leading to a stress less effort of the routine.

No comments: